Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wooden Fountain Pen (# 3 I think)


I own a few wooden fountain pens. For the most part, they are kit pens, meaning, someone buys the metal bits and then puts a pen together around that. The good thing is, you can go crazy with the wood selection and design, the bad thing is- the guts are consistently not that great to write with.

One good thing I can say is--that the wooden pens do have a smooth and warm feel to them when you are writing. Wood seems like a good material to make pens out of, I just wish the writing parts lived up to the feel in your hand.

Here's the business end of this one. I do use it every now and then, but it does not stay inked for too long. It's Iridium tipped and it writes ok, just not incredible. There's a cartridge in there that I sometimes use my Noodler's Bay State Blue in this one, although the bleeding can get pretty insane in this combo.

Blogger tricks of the trade: If you can find this, pick up a container. One little blob of this will hold your pen and props any way that you like for as long as you like. It's a real time saver.

Have a great day!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

OfficeSupplyGeek said...

I always like the idea of wooden pens, but have a hard time finding ones that I actually like.

The real bright spot of this review though is you revealing your method for getting your pens to sit so nicely when you take the pictures...I always wondered, especially after seeing the one where you had one of the pens perched on top of a little mini-basketball.

Unknown said...

There are some out there. I'm a pen crafter, myself. It's a matter of how expensive the kit is that you start with. For example, here are some where the kit (just the hardware, no wood) starts around the price that most people will pay for a handcrafted pen: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/broadwell-nouveau-sceptre-pen-kits.html

You can see some of my own work in the gallery at http://www.shapewerks.com , and the crazy display that I built for my work office wall at http://acr0nym.com/IMG_0118.JPG

Good Pens said...

Matt, Awesome work, This is something I always wanted to do. The stuff on Shapewerks is insane! I love the Dyed Burl.

Good Pens said...

OSG- Thanks, I hope you can find it. Good stuff.

Moonman AKA The Camry

OK,  Camry MIGHT be a little bit of a stretch comparison.   Low cost and will run forever.  The Moonman M2 is a super fun Chines...