Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Alvin Draftmatic 0.3 Mechanical Pencil


I have said it before, man cannot live on pens alone. In my world, there is nothing wrong with a good pencil. Good inks make you appreciate good pens and good pencils make you appreciate....I have no idea where I was going with that one- so if you make something intersting up feel free to let me know.

Some people love the fat pencils, give them a .9 and they are happy. Me? I am on the other end of the spectrum. I can write with a .5 but I prefer the .3 lead. Don't even think of trying to click more than once with this thing with cheap paper. You are talking Swiss cheese. .3's take a little sophistication.

I know technically this is a drafting pencil but I appreciate the weight and feel of this pen as a writer. The body is plastic but there is enough heft in the front to keep you happy. I don't think I ever touched the eraser, I usually keep one or two on my desk for that. You can buy these at most art stores for around 8-10 bucks and they are worth it.

Good Pencils!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

OfficeSupplyGeek said...

I honestly dont remember the last time that I used a pencil that didnt involve a golf ball....and even then its annoying. :)

robotguy said...

Ah, the Draftmatic 0.3! My favorite writing instrument of all time. I had one of these (the same one) since drafting class in high school, over 20 years ago. When it finally broke I made a solder dispenser out of it.

My favorite thing about this pencil, and other 0.3's, is that when someone picks one up to "borrow" it they inevitably break the lead, click it a few times, break it again then set it back down in frustration and head off searching for something that requires a bit less finesse.

The Old Geezer said...

This is a great 0.3 mm pencil. I'm glad that it's till made. The discontinued Ohto Promate is a twin to the Alvin Draft/Matic, with only minor differences. The parts will even interchange.

Brandon said...

I have been striving for a nice bold look like your last picture. What kinds of leads do you pair with these "non pens"?

Moonman AKA The Camry

OK,  Camry MIGHT be a little bit of a stretch comparison.   Low cost and will run forever.  The Moonman M2 is a super fun Chines...