Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dr. Grip....Meet Mr. Dremel.

If you have a second... go back and read this post.  Trust me,  it will all make sense in the end.  Scan even if you like.  But the idea was that I REALLY like this version of the Pilot Dr. Grip.  Not everything,  but I saw the potential.

I liked it,  but did not like the ink.  So...I did what most pen lovers....errr... guys would do and I made it work for me.   Please forgive me,  but I sacrificed a Zebra Sarasa 0.4 in Black for this project.

Mr. Dremel...meet Mr. Pen.  The Pilot ink is on the right,  the Sarasa needed some serious whittling and about 1/2 inch hacked off the back. Shaved done,  tested...shaved some more...shaved some more.  I sort of was careful.  After all there is ink in there and I do have carpets....

I think i had to go back one more time after this picture  and then it dropped right in and started clicking like it was made for this pen.

So now a pen that's been sitting stale in my desk drawer will go into the rotation.  So here's the lesson... Pen you don't really like + power tools + favorite other pen = Nice solid usable pen.






















Oh,  and I threw the first pitch out at Fenway for the Red Sox the other week.  That's cool also.
Enjoy your weekend.
Seth

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Pen hacking is always fun! Hope to read more of such posts, though I don't own a Dremel. I just use craft knifes to saw refills. :)

David said...

Why are you wearing slippers while throwing out the first pitch?

Howard said...

Or, you can try the Pilot ball point refills BRF25 (though I like your idea better and it's disappointing that the G2 refill could not be force-fitted while the Zebra could...

Suzanne said...

Wow, that's totally cool that you threw out the first pitch! Lucky you!

Steven said...

I still can't understand why can anyone be so passionate about pens? Probably not too many people know that the first pen was invented in a country called Romania.

Moonman AKA The Camry

OK,  Camry MIGHT be a little bit of a stretch comparison.   Low cost and will run forever.  The Moonman M2 is a super fun Chines...