Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Free Ink! (kinda)


Did you know that if you buy 2 bottles of different color ink you pretty much have opened up doorway to another world full of rainbows and unicorns? Well, that is not all true- but what you have gotten yourself into is a whole new world of mixing possibilities. So here you have your normal Private Reserve American Blue and your typical J. Herbin Vert Olive....two great colors that I appreciate individually for what they are.

However, if a little Mr. Blue mixes parties with a decent amount of Mr. Green (5:1 ratio for the math majors out there) Presto. Happy day... you have yourself a new color to write home about (or with.)

Here you have it in the light, everyone owns a Preppy eyedropper right? If not, you should... we are talking a serious tank of ink. Instructions on how to make one later this week. A little more blue might actually make this even cooler. That is the fun part.

And here you have the mix, some of you might be concerned about ph factors and mixing certain types of ink can cause explosions and blah, blah, blah. I strictly went for color here, I mix the ink, I put it in a non-expensive (or explosive) pen and I write with it. I am happy and that's the main goal I was going for. If I hate the color, I burn through it and try again. No harm done. Have a great day! -Seth
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Nrepose said...

That color looks a lot like the Vert Pre. I mixed Vert Pre and Noodlers Black, put it up and forgot about it. I need to put it in a pen and try it out. Great Post! Nr

The Missive Maven said...

I really enjoy your instructions, and I'm totally looking forward to seeing how to make a Platinum Preppy into a non-leaky eyedropper. I've always wanted to do this but was a little afraid. (Plus, I think there is grease involved... ewww.)

Erin said...

Thanks for blazing the trail for us, Seth! Your intrepid foray into the mixology of ink is an inspiration. Interesting color you came up with. I am still trying to finish up the cartridge in my preppy so that I can try the "seal and fill" method you have successfully done. Like Missive Maven, I am a bit dreading the gooey sealing process, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you came up with an amazing colour here. Loves it.

Vik said...

I got a similar color using some J'Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Pelikan Green... it's a lime green, really nice, in my opinion

Moonman AKA The Camry

OK,  Camry MIGHT be a little bit of a stretch comparison.   Low cost and will run forever.  The Moonman M2 is a super fun Chines...